LSU Graduate Wind Conducting Program
LSU offers both masters and doctoral degrees in wind conducting. These programs are designed to offer a wide variety of opportunities for the graduate conductor who is interested in an academic or professional conducting career. LSU provides conducting opportunities with our three concert bands and our athletic band program. Specific degree requirements can be found at: http://www.music.lsu.edu/Prospective/Graduate/Degrees.html#M
Note: There are no available assistantships until fall 2014, however applications will be considered for fall 2013.
Prescreening Audition Procedures:
1. Interested candidates must complete the required application to the LSU Graduate School and School of Music.
2. Send the following prescreening materials to the Director of Wind Ensembles.
a. A face to the camera video (DVD preferred). The video should be approximately 30 minutes in length and include 15 minutes of rehearsal and 15 minutes of performance. The repertoire is the applicant's choice, but should represent a variety of tempi and style.
b. A repertoire list of pieces conducted in performance
c. Doctoral applicants ONLY: In addition to the materials above, please include a written analysis of a work from the standard wind repertoire.
d. The prescreening materials should be sent to:
Louisiana State University
Attn: Dr. Donald McKinney, Director of Wind Ensembles & Conducting
102 New Music Building
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
3. Based on the prescreening materials, selected applicants will be invited to an on-campus audition that will take place in February of 2013.
1. Invited applicants will complete a 20-minute audition with the LSU Wind Ensemble or Symphonic Winds. The audition repertoire will be chosen in consultation with the candidate and the wind conducting faculty.
2. An interview with the Director of Wind Ensembles and Director of Athletic Bands.
3. The Director of Wind Ensembles and the LSU School of Music will notify the accepted applicants.